If you came to experience bear watching in Romania you’ve come to the right place.
Spend an entire day full of adventures right in the heart of the Land of Volcanoes, situated just 70 kilometers from Brasov. You will be taken by car or minivan (for groups of more than 4 people please contact us) to the only volcanic lake in Romania, visit a mysterious swamp where carnivorous plants live (open from spring to autumn) and take a stroll through the forest to the biggest natural gas bath in Europe – the Puturosu Cave (The Smelly Cave).
End the day with a thrilling bear watching experience that you will surely remember – don’t forget to take your camera with you!
In the evening you will be driven back to Brasov.
- Early in the morning, just after you had breakfast, we will meet for the start of our tour at our office in the very center of the city or we can pick you from the hotel/ guesthouse.
- After about 90 kilometers of driving, we will arrive at the St. Anna lake. Sfanta Ana lake the only volcanic crater lake in Romania, formed around 8.800 – 9.800 years ago. You will discover its beauty in a 30-minute easy walk around the 220,000 m² area. You will also visit the Mohos Peat Bog (open from spring to mid autumn), where you have the chance to see hallucinogenic and carnivorous plants and a volcanic landscape.
- After a short transfer by car, you will go on a 30 minutes hike up to the Puturosu Cave (The Stinky Cave), the biggest natural gas bath in Europe. Back at the car you can have lunch in a nearby restaurant (lunch not included) and enjoy the wonderful scenery. NOTE: The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays. In this case, we can choose another restaurant in the area.
- The highlight of the trip comes in the afternoon, when you will go deep in the forest with an experienced ranger and see the Carpathian brown bears in their natural habitat. Once arrived in the safe bear hide, taste a shot of palinka (traditional Hungarian spirit) and wait for the bears to come just a few meters in front of you. Because the bear hide is specially built, the bears cannot see you through the windows and you can take amazing photos of them. The bear watching season starts from spring and lasts to late autumn. However, bear can be seen around here even during winter. You can book this tour during winter and in case you don’t see any animals, you will be refunded with the bear watching activity equivalent.
Price: 88 EUR / person.
A minimum of 2 people per booking is necessary. If you wish to go alone, you must pay as for two persons.
- English speaking driver/ guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at you accommodation in Brasov
- Transport by air-conditioned car/ minivan (6+1 seats Peugeot 807)
- National park entry fees & parking
- Bear watching activity
- Food and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Pick-up & drop-off from outside Brasov city
- The tour operates in all weather conditions.
- Please wear adequate clothing and comfortable hiking shoes (avoid flip-flops).
- The tour is not wheelchair accesible.
- Bears are unpredictable wild animals. Please follow the guide’s and ranger’s advice. In case you see a bear when you are outside the bear hide, don’t panic, stay calm and listen to the ranger.
- Please respect mother nature. Don’t litter and don’t feed the animals.
- The tour operates from Monday to Friday.
Book this tour:
To book this tour, please contact us by phone +40728132366 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please make sure to mention all the important details in the email: Number of travelers, name of travelers, a valid telephone number, passport info, the requested day for the tour and any other details that you consider to be important.